2020 Gewürztraminer Estate | Beamsville Bench | Estate Grown

$ 21.95 • 750 ml • 12 bt/cs • Extra Dry
About This Wine
This wine originates from our Cave Spring Vineyard, nestled on a hillside of the Niagara Escarpment overlooking Lake Ontario, known as the Beamsville Bench. Along these gentle slopes, the combination of limestone-clay soil, elevation and moderating onshore breezes combine to produce a dry, richly extracted Gewürztraminer with notes of exotic fruit and spice.
Vintage
2020 was a warm, dry vintage with low-to-moderate yields and highly concentrated fruit. Low yields and an extended harvest delivered highly extracted Gewürztraminer with long-term ageing potential.
Composition
Varieties100% Gewürztraminer
Estate Grown 100%
Origin
AppellationBeamsville Bench
SiteCave Spring Vineyard
Topography
Elevation125–155 m (425–510 ft)
Slope/Exposure3–6% / NNW
Soil
Stony clay till composed primarily of limestone and dolostone mixed with sandstone, shale and traces of granite and gneiss; soils overlie moraine and sandstone/shale bedrock; depth ranges from 4 to 8 m
Harvest Data
Harvest Date Nov 4
Sugar 23.4º Brix
Titratable Acidity 5.5 g/L
pH 3.52
Yield 65 hl/ha (3.5 mt/ac)
Vinification
85% of the fruit underwent an 8 hours skin soak followed by a mix of indigenous yeast fermentation in neutral, 225L oak barrels and selected yeast fermentation in stainless steel; the remaining 15% underwent indigenous yeast, skin fermentation followed by ageing in neutral oak; overall, the wine was fermented using 70% indigenous and 30% selected yeast; all lots were aged sur lie for 8 months
Bottling Data
Bottling Date Sep 2021
Alc./Vol 14.0
Residual Sugar < 2 g/L
Titratable Acidity 6.2 g/L
pH 3.52
Production 355 cs
Sensory Profile
Colour Deep yellow. Nose Concentrated aromas of rose water, shaved ginger, lychee nut and dried apricot over notes of nutmeg, sultana raisins and rum. Palate Dry and very full bodied; rich with light, grippy tannins on the attack; the mid-palate is broad and viscous with notes of fig, dried orange, vanilla bean, and turmeric, underpinned by a firm, lightly stoney texture; the wine pushes with linear focus into a warm, aromatic and persistent finish with delicate walnut, pecan, clove and cinnamon tones.
Ageability
Best consumed 2023 through 2028, with potential to hold until at least 2030.
Food Pairings
Onion tarts, spicy Dal, shellfish curry, ginger chicken or tofu, grilled pork with fruit salsa; baked ham; choucroutte garnis
Availability
Winery Exclusive • 302059

Reviews & Accolades

Coming Soon