2019 Gewürztraminer Estate | Beamsville Bench | Estate Grown

$ 19.95 • 750 ml • 12 bt/cs • Extra Dry
About This Wine
This wine originates from our Cave Spring Vineyard, nestled on a hillside of the Niagara Escarpment overlooking Lake Ontario, known as the Beamsville Bench. Along these gentle slopes, limestone-clay soil, elevation and moderating onshore breezes combine to produce a dry, richly extracted Gewürztraminer with notes of exotic fruit and spice.
2019 was a temperate vintage delivering normal levels of heat and precipitation. Low yields and an extended harvest delivered highly extracted Gewürztraminer with long-term ageing potential.
Varieties100% Gewürztraminer
Estate Grown 100%
AppellationBeamsville Bench
SiteCave Spring Vineyard
Elevation125–155 m (425–510 ft)
Slope/Exposure3–6% / NNW
Stony clay till composed primarily of limestone and dolostone mixed with sandstone, shale and traces of granite and gneiss; soils overlie moraine and sandstone/shale bedrock; depth ranges from 4 to 8 m
Harvest Data
Harvest Date Nov 5
Sugar 24.1º Brix
Titratable Acidity 7.5 g/L
pH 3.42
Yield 59 hl/ha (3.3 mt/ac)
12 hours of skin contact prior to fermentation in stainless steel using selected yeast for 75% of the cuvée; the remaining 25% was open-vat fermented with full skin contact using indigenous yeasts; all lots aged sur lie for 8 months, 50% in neutral, 500L French oak barrels and 50% in tank
Bottling Data
Bottling Date July 2020
Alc./Vol 15.0%
Residual Sugar < 2 g/L
Titratable Acidity 5.3 g/L
pH 3.75
Production 340 cs
Sensory Profile
Colour Deep yellow. Nose Concentrated aromas of fresh ginger, comb honey and orange marmelade; hints of crême brûlée, lychee nut and fresh dairy. Palate Dry and very full bodied; unctuous with chalky undertones up front; an opulent mid-palate showing intense spice plus richly textured exotic and mandarin fruit; plush edges are balanced by delicate acidity and a stony underpinning; the finish is lavish and persistent, with explosive flavours of spiced pear, baked apple, lychee and clove.
Best consumed 2021 through 2025, with potential to hold until at least 2027.
Food Pairings
Onion tarts, spicy Dal, shellfish curry, ginger chicken or tofu, grilled pork with fruit salsa; baked ham; choucroutte garnis
Winery, Vintages • 302059

Reviews & Accolades

Coming Soon