2018 La Penna | Beamsville Bench | Estate Grown

$ 49.95 • 750 ml • 12 bt/cs • Extra Dry
About This Wine
The name La Penna – ‘feather’ in Italian – alludes to migratory hawks that ride thermal updrafts along the steep limestone cliffs at our Cave Spring Vineyard. These breezes enable us, in the traditional ‘appassimento’ method, to naturally air dry Cabernet Franc grapes grown at our estate. The concentrating effect of this time-honoured process enriches and adds complexity to the final cuvée.
Vintage
2018 was a warm vintage with normal precipitation levels and low yields. Cabernet Franc ripened in its normal window, producing succulent wines with fine-grained tannins and long-term agability.
Composition
Varieties100% Cabernet Franc
Estate Grown 100%
Origin
AppellationBeamsville Bench
SiteCave Spring Vineyard
Topography
Elevation125–155 m (410–510 ft)
Slope/Exposure3–6% / NNW
Soil
Stony clay till composed primarily of limestone and dolostone mixed with sandstone, shale and traces of granite and gneiss; soils overlie moraine and sandstone/shale bedrock; depth ranges from 4 to 8 m
Harvest Data
Harvest Date Oct 12–14
Sugar 24.5º Brix
Titratable Acidity 5.5 g/L
pH 3.44
Yield 2.0 mt/ac (37 hl/ha)
Vinification
80% of the cuvée underwent a 3-week maceration and fermentation using only indigenous yeasts, followed by barrel ageing for 22 months in 2nd and 3rd fill, 225L and 500L French oak; the remaining 20% was vinified from fruit that was naturally air-dried for 6 weeks prior to a 4-week, open-top, indigenous-yeast fermentation and ageing for 20 months a new, 500L French oak barrel.
Bottling Data
Bottling Date Oct 2020
Alc./Vol 14.0%
Residual Sugar < 2.0 g/L
Titratable Acidity 6.0 g/L
pH 3.58
Production 265 cs
Sensory Profile
Colour Deep ruby. Nose Aromas of red cherry, blueberry, dried figs and smoke over top nuances of cedar, saddle leather, dark chocolate and mint. Palate Full-bodied and plush throughout; rich flavours of dried raisins and prunes up front; in the middle, saturated black cherry and purple plum fruit melds with supple, granular tannins, all lifted by delicate, mineral-tinged acidity; as the tannins taper, they draw ripe, mixed berry flavours into a long, deep finish accented by notes of cinnamon, clove and graphite.
Ageability
Best consumed 2022 through 2027; will continue to develop through at least 2030; unfiltered at bottling, decanting is recommended
Food Pairings
Roast fowl and game birds (duck, Guinea hen squab); osso buco; slow roast of lamb or venison; grilled steak or prime rib, rare; gnocchi with Gorgonzola
Availability
Winery Exclusive • 905505

Reviews & Accolades

Coming Soon